Time: 20 minutes
Experience Description (written in script form to describe process):
-Teacher placed notes on the board, Students walked in and at the ringing of the bell, teacher took attendance.
-Teacher asked students to silence their cell phones and put their computers away. Teacher waited quietly while the students did this.
-Teacher discussed correct posture (i.e. students rested their backs against the chair with their hands open facing the image on the screen)
-Teacher discussed correct breathing and the benefits of the full breath
- students breath in through their nose to fill their lungs, students breath out through their mouths
- students were encouraged to breath silently.
- Initially many students laughed during the breathing exercises.
- In response teacher asked the students to focus on breath and not those around them " This is the time for you. not your peers. This is the time to forget those around you". When one student continued to joke/comment teacher offered an alternative assignment for the student to do in the hallway. Students responded with silence.
- Teacher asked the students to focus on the image projected, describing all of the images parts
- Teacher asked students to close their eyes and call image to the surface.
- Teacher continued to describe image
- Teacher developed "sensory" clues describing the wind, the texture of the sand, the sound of the water. Students began to imagine their journey with the following steps
*the Grove of Trees is a resting point to mark the end of every journey.
- Following this, students were asked to complete the feedback sheet. and asked to work on their sketchbook.
- During the class period the teacher continued to play meditation inspired music
- students had positive response
- many said they liked the experience
- students were calm for the classroom period
Need for Improvement/ future changes
- develop a back up assignment for students who refuse to participate in meditation
- Re discuss purpose of mindfulness
I am an art teacher at Highland Springs High School. I am practicing mindfulness in the art room to see if it will help students to access their creativity and thought process. I am documenting each day of practice with my 3rd block Art II's. I hope this will be successful!.